The long case clock in come for restoration recently, after being asked by the owner to restore this peace of furniture and some others over a period of time. The clock was a peace of furniture which belonged in the family and passed down through the family . The case had some restoration in the past in my eyes was poorly done and would have to correct these issues when in the workshop.
The current owner asked me to restore the case for them, without having the look of pace of furniture from a show room and freshly French polished . So I would have to restore the case and only build up the finish with beeswax only. The case had a painted eight day dial and only required this to cleaned and oiled to keep it working . Unfortunately the case wasn’t that straight forward , as their was some mahogany and boxwood lines missing, spilt in the base panel . Caused by being nailed on and not allowing the Timber to move. The feet were partly worn away and would need attention as the clock was leaning over to one side .
After removing the hood and begin to dismantle the columns then the door was repaired,replacing the missing mahogany crossbanding and ebony line, this will be levelled back once allowed to dry . The base was next removing the panel which had been glued down using 1 inch nails, the panel was glued backed together and replaced the missing mahogany crossbanding .
I could then turn my attention to the feet , the damage was bad enough to replace one and the other had wood replaced , the new Timber repair and would get shaped later on. After repairing some smaller repairs I could then level down these sand could be sealed with a coat of shellac, this helps to seal the repairs and give me idea of the colour of the Timber . Once I put back the base panel and shaped and sanded the feet I could then clean the case down with my solution using ,old rag and with this solution , I only to remove the dirt from the surface without stripping and gutting the Timber of its colour .
Once the clock was cleaned removing the dirt from the surface and allowing the colour of the oak and grain to come through you could see the quarter cut Timber stand out once again , with the mahogany Timber crossbanding and turned columns stand out fri the oak. I cleaned the case with oooo wire wool to remove any last traces of dirt from the surface before I began to apply my beeswax
The beeswax used was clear and a mixture of natural beeswax and carnauba wax ,which I make myself . Thin layers were applied and allowed to dry before buffing of with a pace of mutton cloth and very soft brushes. After repeating this process 2-3 times a Good sheen was produced . In between coats I was able to colour out the new repairs and matching them to the old Timber. The last coat was a hard wax only and then a good buff to finish . Thus now gave the clock a good sheen and allowed the Timber to shine through and the brassware was clean with the fine wire wool as well . The case was but back together and a key cut for the lock now the case was ready for delivery .
Couple of pictures before and after the clock restoration