17th century walnut bureau

Walnut bureau before restoration

This William and Mary walnut bureau dating from around 1680 come in for restoration, after the family had inherited through the family. The bureau was measuring only 2ft 6 inches wide had dried out causing some veneers to blister and crack in places , the mouldings made from cross grain timber had in places dried out and now were missing, these will be replaced during the restoration. Because the mouldings were made from gross grain timber they are inclined to curl up over a period of timber. This is a result of its age and the glue drying out underneath them,this is partly done to central heating.

Nice all the missing mouldings were replaced with timber and then shaped and fitted at a later date, my attention turned t the loose veneers, I injected water water under neath the veneers to clean out any dirt and t break down the remaining old glue before fresh scotch glue was injected into the effected veneers. This was then cramped down or weights applied to flatten the veneers over night. The areas f missing veneers were reached and would be levelled down later on. I moved on to the draws were the runners were worn den almost t the draw bottoms . The oak runners were replaced with new timber and would be coloured down to match the rest.

My attention was then turned to the interior with some lose veneers and only required a light clean and a new leather t be fitted and some tooling to finish it of.

Nw with all repairs were done and the new timber levelled and sanded with a cat f shellac to seal it of . I cleaned the bureau to remove the dirt from the surface without Breaking down the original faded patina . This also washed the dirt into the new repairs helping to colour and age them . The top had some water ring marks which were lightly bleached to remove the dark blackness from them . Then I lightly applied a clear beeswax to the bureau and was buffed of. This was repeated several times, building up a sheen very a coupe of days. During this time I could colour down the new repairs matching them to the original colours. The bun feet which are correct to this period but were later replacements got coloured down to match The brassware which was later replacements only required a light clean with very fine wire wool. The lock had a key but needed t be ceased and oiled after being fill with fluff and dirt. The draws and carcass had some paraffin wax rubbed on the carcass sides and bottoms, draw sides and bottoms. This is done t help save somewhere n them and to make them run smoothly on the draws.

Inside the bureau interior leather was tooled and aged slightly, before being lightly French polished . This was to seal the new leather of and give it some protection from staining and water and tear. The 3 secret draws from the well interior were put back in and will remain a secret to were they are only the owner owing this. The bureau was now restored a lovely nutty brown colour and sheen while retaining the age and patina of a 17th century bureau . It was then delivered back to the client to enjoy for many years to come

All work is done in my workshop and quotes can be provided upon request. All work is fully insured and will be collected and delivered by myself . Please visit my www.chapmanrestoration.co.uk or contact me on my workshop number to discuss your requirements on 07814520970.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s